School of Health Professions Mission Statement
The mission of the School of Health Professions is to provide the highest quality education in a multidisciplinary learning environment that fosters research, scholarly activity, critical thinking, evidence-based practice, leadership, and professionalism, while affirming the importance of ethical behavior, human diversity, service, and a team approach to health care.
Health Science graduates are not only highly competent, but compassionate practitioners – ever-mindful of the fact that preserving and maintaining the health and comfort of their fellow human beings is not only a responsibility, but a privilege.
As health care continues to evolve and improve, our school is committed to being a place where undergraduates and graduates alike can enhance their knowledge and skills – all in a quest for ways to effect change for the better in the health care industry.
Health Science Mission Statement
The mission of the Health Science major is to provide the highest quality undergraduate education that integrates the principles of scholarship, ethics, cultural competency, communication skills, critical thinking, evidence-based practice, and civic orientation to meet the diverse regional needs of the evolving health care industry.
- We utilize experiential learning communities that integrate opportunities for collaborative and active learning to improve student learning outcomes.
- We promote the values of ethical, competent, and compassionate health care.
- We develop critical and independent thinking skills through the utilization of evidence-based teaching techniques and the implementation of emerging educational technologies.
- We provide students with knowledge and skills to enter the healthcare workforce, pursue graduate education, or secure professional opportunities in health care through rigorous scholarship, self-discovery, teamwork, evidence-based practice, and leadership.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate the ability to:
- actively engage in scholarship by developing original research problems, applying research designs and methods, and communicating those ideas in research writing.
- integrate and apply requisite discipline specific knowledge, skills, competencies, ethical and professional values in a chosen healthcare field.
- use evidence in critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making processes.
- work collaboratively in diverse teams.
- effectively communicate by demonstrating proficiency in written and oral communication skills.