The athletic training program at Stony Brook has a 35 year history. The internship program began in the 1980’s and developed into a baccalaureate major in the early 2000’s. The first Master of Science degree was awarded in the spring 2021. With over 250 graduates employed in various levels of patient care we are excited to begin a new chapter of our program’s history as we have closed the book on our extremely successful undergraduate program in spring of 2020. We now prepare students for a future in athletic training at the graduate level.
While all CAATE-accredited programs meet the same minimum requirements, the Stony Brook University athletic training program offers:
- affliation with Stony Brook Medicine
- quality classroom, laboratory, and online instruction
- exciting clinical experiences with NCAA Division 1, 2 and 3 athletic programs, and competitive local high schools
- extensive research opportunities
- unique interaction with physicians
- valuable community service involvement
- diversity and committed students
- widespread community and alumni participation within the program
- SBU is ranked #1 among public universities in NY, #26 among public universities in the US, and #58 nationally in 2024 Best Colleges
Completion of this comprehensive program is sure to prepare students to become competent and confident athletic trainers.
Our expert faculty employ experiences from various levels of patient care into the classroom while disseminating the most up to date evidence based information to prepare our graduates as they enter the health care field and work with diverse populations.
For more information:
In addition, Stony Brook University offers the following:
Stony Brook University is located on Long Island's North Shore, at the geographic midpoint of Long Island, adjacent to historic Stony Brook Village and down the road from scenic Port Jefferson.
We're only 60 miles east of New York City and 60 miles west of Montauk Point.
Forbes Magazine reports Stony Brook University ranks in the "top 40 best value public colleges/universities".
Identified as a Type I Research University by the Carnegie Foundation (the highest classification and a distinction granted to fewer than 2% of all colleges and universities nationwide), Stony Brook is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), the prestigious organization of research universities whose membership now totals 63 nationwide.
At Stony Brook, you'll find a blend of people, activities, interest groups, and athletics that will take your college experience far beyond the academic.