Frequently Asked Questions about Our Health Science Major

Question #1: What are the natural sciences credits?
Answer: Natural sciences are courses that meet D.E.C. “E” requirements. They can either be taken at Stony Brook University or they can be transferred into the university. Natural sciences can only be satisfied with a grade of C or better. If you are planning to apply for a clinical concentration or for medical school, nursing, physical therapy, physician assistant, dental school, etc. you must also take natural science credits as requirements for these programs. These credits will also count toward the natural science credits for the Health Science major. Please contact your Health Science advisor for more details.
Question #2: How many natural science credits do I need?
Answer: All Health Science students need a minimum of 16 credits of natural science. If you have more than 16 credits, the excess credits will count toward the 21 credits required as related electives.
Question #3: What are related electives?
Answer: Related electives are courses that serve as a foundation for any of the concentrations offered. Please refer to the list of suggested related electives in the Health Science Advising Booklet. In addition, there might be other classes that you may have taken in other colleges or universities that can be counted as related electives. Related elective requirements may only be satisfied with a grade of C or Better. Please contact your Health Science advisor for more details.
Question #4: Can a class taken as a D.E.C. requirement also be counted as a related elective and/or upper division requirement?
Answer: There are many D.E.C. courses that can be counted as related electives and/or upper division (300 level or higher). Please contact your Health Science advisor for more details and also refer to the Health Science Advising Booklet. 
Question #5: Why do I need a minimum of 10 upper division credits?
Answer: The university requires that all students complete at least 39 upper division credits in order to graduate. During your senior year, you will be taking a minimum of 29 upper division credits.  Therefore, you must complete 10 upperdivision credits prior to advancing to the senior year curriculum so by the time you enter the major, you will have a minimum of 10 upper division credits left to satisfy university requirements.
Question #6: Can I P/NC a D.E.C. course?
Answer: Yes, you can P/NC a D.E.C. course. However, a “P” will NOT satisfy a D.E.C. requirement. You will only receive the credits associated with the course. If you chose to repeat the same class for a letter grade, you will not receive additional credits.
Question #7: Can a letter grade of “D” satisfy a D.E.C. requirement?
Answer: Yes, except in courses for Skill 3, D.E.C. A and D.E.C. C
Question #8: How many credits do I need to start my senior year?
Answer: All students need a minimum of 91credits by the end of the spring semester of their junior year. Please contact your Health Science advisor for more details.
Question #9: I completed all of my requirements for the major by the end of my fall semester of junior year. Can I start the major in the spring?
Answer: No. The design of the Health Science major only permits students to begin their studies in the fall semester of their senior year. There are no exceptions. Fall semester (core) coursework are the pre-requisites for spring semester courses. For more details, please contact your Health Science advisor.
Question #10: Can I take other classes on West campus during my senior year?
Answer: We strongly discourage this practice. We urge all students to have all their requirements completed prior to entering their senior year. In the event that you have to take additional coursework during your senior year will only be permitted to register for courses that do not conflict with your major courses. Students are not permitted to register for more than 19 credits each semester. Please contact your Health Science advisor for more details.
Question #11: Can I double major?
Answer: Yes. However, your other minor/major coursework must be complete before you begin the Health Science fall semester. Please see your advisor for more details.
Question #12: What are the minimum grades needed to successfully complete my core and concentration coursework?
Answer: All students must have a grade of “C” or better in all the (HAN) classes during their senior year. However, to remain in good standing students must maintain a 2.5 Health Sciences Center G.P.A.
Question #13: What will happen if I get less than a “C” in one of my HAN classes?
Answer: Any student with a grade of less than “C” must repeat the class(es). Keep in mind that since core classes are offered in the fall semester and the concentration classes are offered in the spring semester, the student will have to return the following fall or spring semester to repeat the coursework.
Question #14: How many times do I need to meet with an advisor?
Answer: Students can meet with a Health Science advisor at any time. We strongly suggest that each student meet at least twice a semester before their enrollment date.
Question #15: This is my last semester before I graduate. I just found out that I am missing a D.E.C. requirement.
Answer: It is a student’s responsibility to make sure that they have met all requirements for graduation. All evaluations with a Health Science advisor are considered “unofficial” evaluations and should only be used as a guide. We encourage all students to access the SOLAR system to review your Degree Progress Report. If you have any questions, please contact your Health Science advisor.
Question #16: What will my class schedule look like?

Answer: Students can expect to be in classes 5 days a week. Courses are offered in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Students should expect their Health Science fall and spring schedule to include a Friday class.

Question #17: During my senior year, can I enroll into courses from different tracks/learning communities?

Answer: The Senior year tracks/learning communities are designed so that you will have class with the same students for each of your core courses during the fall semester of your senior year. In  the spring semester, based on your concentration area, you will also have the same students for each concentration-specific course. The design of this model therefore does not allow you to mix and match courses from different tracks. For example, if you are enrolled into track 2, you must register for all the courses from track 2 (you would not be able to enroll into courses from other tracks).

Question #18: What should I do if I already have my bachelor's degree but I am interested in becoming a Radiologic Technologist?

Answer: The radiologic technology program is two years in length. The first year of the radiologic technology program is the credit-bearing Health Science major’s senior year curriculum. This year is designed to provide students with a didactic foundation. The second year of the program is a clinical non-credit, non-degree certificate program which is designed to foster clinical skills and competencies. Students must complete both components of the program to qualify for the national registry examination. Total length of study is 5 years: Health Science major (4 years) + 8 months (clinical non-credit, non-degree certificate program) = 5 years. Please visit www.jrcert.org for a list of other radiologic technology programs in the region.

Question #19: I am interested in pursuing one of the Health Science clinical concentrations, clinical non-credit, non-degree certificate programs during my senior year. What should I do?

Answer: In addition to taking the five core courses during the fall of your senior year, you will also be required to take our Radiation Physics in Medicine class if you plan to apply to the Medical Dosimetry, Radiation Therapy, or Radiologic Technology concentrations. If you are planning on applying to the Healthcare Quality Coding and Reimbursement concentration, you will be required to take our Pathophysiology course in addition to your five core course. During the beginning of the fall semester, you would submit your application for the clinical non-credit, non-degree certificate program of choice. The applications open from approximately the middle of September through the middle of October. You may apply to more than one clinical non-credit, non-degree certificate program. Since our clinical non-credit, non-degree certificate program are very competitive, please see your Health Science advisor for suggestions as to what pre-requisite courses may make you a more competitive candidate.